When they come to church, people want a sermon that is more than platitudes and common sense.
Retired Elder Larry Buxton says this in a recent edition of Leading Ideas: “It’s been a new experience to live a non-parish-focused life during the week, then walk into church on Sunday and hear for the first time a Scripture and sermon.”
He goes on to list five things he’s looking for from those standing in the pulpit:
- I need your sermon to grab me.
- I need your sermon to pinch me.
- I need to hear about Jesus.
- I need to know God is doing something.
- I need your sermon to help me.