Collection sites are opening around Michigan to receive hurricane relief materials.
Churches across the Michigan Area are engaged with in-gatherings of supplies for Cleaning Buckets and Hygiene Kits for the United Methodist Committee on Relief. Those are the specific relief materials that are requested by UMCOR’s Midwest Mission Distribution Center MMDC in Chatham, Illinois at this time.
MMDC asks that materials NOT BE ASSEMBLED as buckets or kits. They want the supplies in bulk for assembly at their facility. Click here for additional instructions on what to collect and what to do once collection is done.
Numerous places around the state have offered themselves as collection sites. Area Disaster Coordinators, Bob Miller and Dan O’Malley, now request that congregations take materials to these Michigan sites rather than transporting or mailing supplies to Chatham, IL. This allows effective coordination of intake at MMDC’s warehouse and enables MMDC to be ready with the volunteer labor needed to prepare materials for shipment to flooded areas.
At the present time, these sites will accept relief supplies. Click on address for drive directions. Click on contact name to email for additional info.
- Northville UMC, 777 W 8 Mile Rd, Northville, MI 48167, (248) 349-1144; 8am-8pm weekdays; call to schedule weekend drop off; contact is Charles Woolley
- Judson Collins Center, 1000 Hane Hwy, Onsted, MI 49265; (517) 467-7711*
- Lake Huron Retreat Center, 8794 Lakeshore Rd, Burtchville Township, MI 48059; (810) 327-6272*
- Goodrich UMC, 8071 S State Rd, Goodrich, MI 48438, (810) 636-2444; 9am-2pm weekdays; call to schedule weekend drop off; contact is Rev. Joel Walther
- Waterford: Central UMC, 3882 Highland Rd, Waterford, MI 48328, 248) 681-0040; Mon-Wed 9am-4pm; Thur 9am-8pm; Sunday 8:30am-12pm; use north entrance; contact is Dan Arnold
- Royal Oak First UMC, 320 W 7th St, Royal Oak, MI 48067; (248) 541-4100; 9am-5pm weekdays and 12pm-5pm Saturdays; contact is Laurie O’Donnell
- Birmingham First UMC, 1589 W Maple Rd, Birmingham, MI 48009; (248) 646-1200; Mn-Ts 7am-8:30pm; Wed-Thr 7am-4pm; Fri-Sat 8am-12pm; Sun 8:30am-12pm; drop off at Christian Life Center; contact is Dan Hart
West Michigan Conference:
- Springport UMC, 127 W Main St, Springport, MI 49284, (517) 857-2777; 24/7 collection in container outside church; contact is Melissa Claxton
- North Parma: UMC, 11970 Devereaux Rd, Parma, MI 49269, 517) 531-4619; 24/7 collection in container outside church; contact is Melissa Claxton
- Lake Michigan Camp, 5807 Ridge Road, Pentwater, MI 49449; (231) 869-5317*
- Albright Park, 3156 190th Ave, Reed City, MI 49677; (231) 832-9094*
- Kalamazoo First UMC, 212 S. Park Street, Kalamazoo MI 49008; 269-381-6340; Mn-Thr 9am-3pm thru Sept 28; contact is David Lundquist, 269-352-0582
- Crystal Springs Camp, 33774 Crystal Springs St, Dowagiac, MI 49047; (269) 683-8918*
- Wesley Woods Camp, 1700 Clear Lake, Dowling, MI 49050; (269) 721-8291*
- Michigan Area United Methodist Camping Office, 2307 W. Maple Rapids Rd., St. Johns, MI 48879; 517-212-5450,
*Camping ministries has committed to drop offs at camp sites on Saturdays 8am to 8pm on September 16,23 and 30 as well as Wednesdays from noon to 8pm on September 20 and 27.
Additional collection centers are being sought. Michigan Area churches considering service as a collection center are encouraged to contact Rev. Benton Heisler, Director of Connectional Ministries, West Michigan Conference: Benton@wmcumc.org or 888-217-1905.