A new appointment is loaded with emotions, both for congregation and pastor. Prepare to welcome.
The Lewis Center for Church Leadership has published a list put together by Robert Crossman, Minister of New Church Starts and Congregational Development for the Arkansas Conference of The United Methodist Church.
The 50 items on the list are all focused on helping a pastor get off to a good start in his or her new appointment. The pointers fall into five categories:
- Prepare to welcome your new pastor
- Say goodbye to your current pastor in a healthy way
- Make things move-in ready
- Welcome your new pastor on moving day
- Continue the welcome during the entry period
- Help the new pastor become familiar with the congregation
- Help the new pastor connect to the community